Thursday, October 05, 2006

HE WAS A GOOD MAN

i lost a friend today. a very good friend.

4.15pm - ex-colleague called but i didnt pick it up.
5.00pm - he called again telling me the bad news. "Sonny passed away. Accident."

i was shocked! sonny was 48. a father of 3 grown-up kids. and yet, i was closed to him. very closed. he was like a father to me only that he's way too cool. although i left my former office a year ago, he still came and visit me occasionally. we had sushi together 2 months ago.
he's among the trustworthy ones. the last time he came and visit, i joked bout me calling him up in the middle of the night to borrow money. at that time, i was testing him, would he lent me any if i were that desperate? of course he said yes.

and over sushi, we even joked bout dato k and siti. according to him, the older they are, the more gatal they will be. he was referring to malay guys specifically. he said, malay guys will not be so gatal if they were allowed to drink and hang-out at pubs. i disagree but i didnt argue with him coz that's juz the way he is.

his mother is 85 and still alive while he's the youngest in the family. he comes from a family with money. so, i know he's financially secured although he never brags bout it. he's juz the typical 'chinaman' who's always calculative. and he goes around with his old motorbike.

i'm still digesting the news. i'm thinking, of all people, why him? we were so closed!
if i asked him to run errands for me, he would do it, no questions asked.
he did so many things for me. took the income tax form, send it back, delivered cheques to my house when i wasnt around, followed me back to my mum's place to pick up things...
and how could i forget the frequent morning coffee when the market was quiet?

gosh, i miss him. miss him as a friend.

the last communication we had was when i smsed him. i told him that fasting month is juz around the corner and i can still remember the carbonara i had with him last year, also b4 fasting month. he replied that he was bz with friends at the moment and will see me soon.

i regreted not being persuasive enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home